|Catalyst Sequencer [CatSeq]
The Catalyst Sequencer combines a traditional clocked step-sequencer with an unconventional phase-based sequencer to produce a new paradigm in sequencing. Eight precision CV sequencer channels can be simultaneously driven by a clock, a phase CV, or scrubbed manually with the crossfader.
Each of the eight channels has its own sequence length, quantizer, transposition, clock divider, randomization, voltage range (max -5V to +10V), and selectable CV (precise 16-bit resolution) or Gate mode.
Phase-based sequencing is an advanced form of sequencing where each step is selected by CV. The Catalyst Sequencer has a smooth, responsive crossfader that scrubs the sequence, playing it forward or backwards to track your motions. Patching in a CV signal will do the same: a ramp-up CV plays the sequence forwards, a ramp-down plays it backwards, a triangle plays it ping-pong, and complex waveforms generate new interesting rhythmic and melodic patterns.
The Catalyst Sequencer can also turn into a Catalyst Controller! Hold down a special button combination to change between sequencer and macro controller modes. If you end up liking the Controller more, you can even remove the double-sided faceplate, flip it over, and re-install with the Controller artwork visible.
Based on the original Catalyst module from Emblematic Systems.
- Sequences range from 1 to 64 steps
- Eight output channels, each can be CV or Gate
- Step forward, backwards, ping-pong, or randomly
- Smooth, responsive crossfader can Scrub the sequence
- Phase CV input scrubs the sequence with an external CV:
- Ramp-up plays the sequence forward
- Triangle wave plays ping-pong
- Complex waveforms create complex patterns
- Each channel can have a different Start and Length, and can Reset to any step
- CV outputs can be set to -5V to +10V maximum, or limited to +/-5V, +5V, +3V, or +1V
- CV outputs can be unquantized (sub-1mV resolution), or Quantized to common scales
- Gate outputs fire one or more triggers when activated
- Transpose globally or per-channel
- Randomization of channel values/gates, with per-channel Random amount
- Glide (glissando) or gate Ratchet can be set per-step
- Tap Tempo button
- Copy/paste a “page” (eight steps) or an entire channel